Do you know the Good Shepherd?

Friday, April 23, 2010

The Weekender

TGIF. Isn't that what we all think when Friday rolls around? Well, now that it is late Friday evening, almost Saturday, it's time to think how we are going to spend the weekend, that's if you haven't planned it already. The weekend is just about the only time I get to see my husband, and it's the only time we get to do a few things together. I know he is really feeling tired, so I do not expect to be doing anything really exciting, but the pace is always better over the weekend. The sense of relaxation is such a delight. And as long as it is Saturday, we always have Sunday to still look forward to.

I think I look forward to Sunday the most. When I was a kid Sundays were really special. I loved to read the Newspaper on Sunday after church, of course, that meant the Comics. I also liked the Weekender, and the Parade. But especially when I was a child I would lay on the floor and read the "Funnies," as my dad would call them. And sometimes, when life was really sweet, my dad would read them to me. He would always read them in character, and I loved it. He loved Dagwood and Blondie the best I think. It's really something how a memory such as that can make you want to read the Sunday paper all your life... and it could just be because your dad read the "funnies" to you. Maybe that is what I still like about Sundays, hearing my Father's voice, and hearing Him read to me. In a sense, that actually is what does happen when I am in church, but it is my heavenly Father speaking in place of my earthly father.

Some people feel that church is uncomfortable for them, a place they don't feel they can be themselves. It's odd, but I feel just the opposite. I love being at church, being in touch with other believers, knowing we are going to worship and praise together, knowing we will hear God's Word shared, read, and taught. I love being connected to the things of God. I am so much better when I am connected to Him, so much better when I am in contact with others who feel the same way. I love being in my Father's house. Just like when I was a girl, sprawled on the living room floor, when life was sweet, when my dad would take the time to read to me.

This weekend, I pray that you will find time to be with your Father. What else can be better than to hear His voice, and sense His presence? Invest your time wisely while you have it, knowing that the final days are coming near. Quite honestly, we do not know how much more time we have to share the important things with our family and friends. Share your heart, share your life, and share your faith. Have a blessed weekend, and be a blessing... "Only By His Grace"... until next time.

3 comments:

  1. I love the story of your Dad reading you the Sunday funnies! And it's a great illustration of how we can enjoy being in God's house and in His presence. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janet,
    I am so glad that the story of my dad was enjoyable to you. It was a joy to write.

    love and blessings, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. This gave me a big smile!! I have the same memories that touch my heart so! Now I know where they came from! :)

    ReplyDelete