Do you know the Good Shepherd?

Friday, April 23, 2010

Today I had to pull out all the stops!

Today was a difficult day, lots of pain and stiffness. Today was a day I had to go back to the grass roots of it all, do as much stretching as possible, a little exercise, do some work and then rest. I had to spend a lot of time thinking about the Lord, His Word, and what He has done for me. I also had to take some time to breath, deep, steady breathing. In fact, I like to breath in and out Scripture verses. I don't know if you have ever tried it, but it is wonderful. Think on an uplifting verse, and then take a deep, relaxing breath. Remember to breath diaphragmatically so that the air expands your chest. Try keeping your shoulders down (not lifting them up), breath very deeply from the center of your being, if you feel your center growing... that's the diaphragm. There are these great supportive muscles on the side and back that need exercising to keep your core strong. It is a really good sensation, and as you breath, think on the verse. I have a verse I enjoy saying a lot from Isaiah, Ch 26:3, and I say it a poetic form, "Perfect peace has he whose mind is stayed on Thee." I say it over many times. Or try. "Be anxious for nothing, but by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God." from Philippians 4.



Well, what verse you say is entirely your choice. I am just sharing some of my favorites. I also say a verse found in Galatians 2, "I have been crucified with Christ; I no longer live, but Christ lives in me, and the life I live in the body, I live by faith in the One who loved me and gave His life for me." Well, you get the idea I am sure. And as you breath try to sense the Holy Spirit's presence filling you and cleansing out the bad stuff, giving life, renewing the spirit. That is a wonderful thing, isn't it, to be renewed?



Yeah, this week has been a bit more painful for me health-wise, a true challenge. I have been experiencing hormone issues, my levels have been irrational a bit, and I am often reminded that my physical being is precarious and sometimes volitile. Health can often be a delicate thing, not to be fooled around with, not to be taken for granted. I admit I am not always the best steward of myself. I joke about the fact that I need a caretaker to my other family members, but I know that God requires me to be the caretaker. Do you ever question how well you are taking care of yourself? Do you ever wonder if you need a better health regime? Do you have good sleep habits? Do you eat well? Do you treat yourself kindly? Do you groom yourself well? Do you have special time with your maker everyday?



The bottom line is... no one else is going to do the right things for us, if we don't do it for ourselves. So we need to do healthy things for ourselves or it just won't happen. If you are like me, you might take care of yourself after you do your other tasks. I would like to do better at this, and I would like to challenge anyone reading this blog to join me. I want someone to hold me accountable, and I will commit to do the same for you. I know a few of you have read the blog without writing a comment, so when you read this blog, comment and let me know that you will join me in being a better steward of yourself along with me. Let's make a greater effort to sleep well, eat well, live well, and groom ourselves well. Let's begin with ourselves, take a walk, treat ourselves to something we enjoy... like visiting a friend, or calling someone we miss terribly. Take a trip to the library, or someplace else wholesome, and also low cost that makes us feel good. Don't do something just to feel good, but do it because it is good. Doing what is good is good medicine. Doing what is good and right is often its own best reward.



Stop and visit a shut-in, talk to a neighbor, consider inviting someone to church on Sunday, better yet, invite them over for some coffee or tea, share a little of your life with that person, and then invite them to go to church. A little bit of friendship evangelism is good for your soul and theirs. Make each day special. If possible, go through your day so that at the end of the day, when you look back on what took place, you can feel good about it. At the end of the day ask: What did I do today that made a difference in any one's life? God gives us new mercies every day, He grants us grace sufficient for our every situation, let's take advantage of these wonderful blessings He gives us. Join me in making each day count., even on bummer days like today. And remember as we move out in faith that it's "Only By His Grace"... until next time...

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I've gotten behind reading your blogs! Oh, you sure touched on something I needed to hear. I need to do better at taking care of myself; I am guilty of not getting enough sleep, eating too much, and not exercising. I get started on a plan but then let other things get me side-tracked. I really love to walk outdoors and listen to some Gospel music and sing along! I want to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet,
    I am just happy that you are reading my blog, and thanks so much for the encouragement of your comments. I hear what you are saying, and trust me, I have to get tough on myself just like you are saying you need to do.

    Go for it, Jan... you deserve God's best!

    ReplyDelete